Mythology quiz today! I asked Zephyr and Lyric a few mythology questions, and they knew a lot of basic stuff, like
- king of the gods is Zeus
- the Roman name for Zeus is Jupiter
- the strongest mortal ever was Hercules
and other stuff I prompted them on other stuff like
- Mars was the God of war. Greeks called him Ares.
- Venus was the goddess of love. Greeks called her Aphrodite.
- Neptune was the god of the sea. Greeks called him Poseidon.
Sticking to the stories behind planet names proved to be a good strategy. I got to hint at a bunch of stories and set up a bunch of characters for future quizzes.
At the end I offered Zephyr a prize if he could name 12 gods before school. He got:
- Zephyros (duh)
- Persephone (also the name of a friend of ours)
- Saturn (technically a Titan, but I accepted it)
- Uranus (ditto)
and then he blanked. I gave him some clues to get Mercury, and then for the last one he tried to make up a name for a god ("See-ras?"), which I liked a lot as a tactic. I'm a firm believer in making up your own gods. I told him Ceres was in fact the god of the harvest (and that's what cereal is named after) so it was close enough.
I gave him the MUNNY figure I never got to give him when Memorial Day made us skip a day. He dug it! We'll decorate it soon.
Selfgrade: B+. It felt like a C- immediately afterwards because it didn't conform exactly to my expectations, but after reviewing it again for the blog, I realize we actually covered a lot of ground. There's a lesson in there somewhere.